US-Iran Ceasefire Weakens Amid Hormuz Conflict

US-Iran Ceasefire Weakens Amid Hormuz Conflict


  • U.S.-Iran ceasefire weakened as Hormuz clashes intensified.
  • Israel demanded the complete dismantlement of Iran’s nuclear program.
  • CIA assessed Iran could withstand a blockade for several months.

Clashes in the Strait of Hormuz have left a month-long ceasefire hanging by a thread as the U.S. awaits Iran’s response to a proposed ceasefire framework preceding broader nuclear negotiations.

The Strait of Hormuz, the narrow waterway between Iran and the Arabian Peninsula through which roughly one-fifth of the world’s oil supply passes, has been at the center of the conflict since fighting began.

On Saturday, the governor of Bandar-e-Lengeh, Fawad Moradzadeh, said that attacks by “American warplanes” took place near the Omani port of Khasab on the southern side of the Strait of Hormuz. The attack allegedly targeted Iranian fishing and cargo vessels which has left six people missing.

A video was also released by US Central Command, which oversees Middle East military operations, showing the Sea Star III and the Sevda being hit by a US Navy F/A-18. Officials said the vessels were targeted as they violated the US blockage of Iranian ports.

UK Sending Warship To The Middle East

As tensions flare, the United Kingdom announced it will deploy a warship to the Middle East to protect shipping in the Strait of Hormuz.

“The pre-positioning of HMS Dragon is part of prudent planning that ​will ensure that the UK is ready, as part ​of a multinational coalition jointly led by the UK and France, ‌to ⁠secure the Strait, when conditions allow,” a spokesperson from the Ministry of Defense said.

Iran has been controlling the Strait of Hormuz for months, a move that has effectively choked global energy markets, sending shockwaves through fuel prices worldwide. The Trump administration launched “Project Freedom,” a naval operation deploying approximately 15,000 service members and 100 aircraft, specifically to break Iranian control of the passage. However, the US efforts to unblock it have so far failed.

Trump Says Will Hear From Iran Soon

On Saturday, Trump told a French reporter he “expects to hear very soon” from the Iranians as the regime “very much” want to finish a lasting peace deal.

“We’re getting a letter [from Iran] supposedly tonight, so we’ll see how that goes,” Trump told the media at his golf course in Virginia.

However, analysts claim Iran appears increasingly confident in resisting U.S. demands for a complete dismantling of its nuclear programme, including proposals to shut down nuclear facilities, halt uranium enrichment for two decades and surrender its stockpile of near weapons-grade uranium.

Tehran also appears to believe that Trump is reluctant to resume a large-scale bombing campaign, particularly after the costly “Epic Fury” operation reportedly depleted a significant portion of America’s advanced missile inventory.

CIA Questions Blockade Effectiveness

As the world waits along with Trump for Iran’s decision to end the war, a recent U.S. intelligence assessment concluded that Iran can withstand the current naval blockade for roughly four months, even as clashes between American and Iranian forces continue to escalate across key Middle Eastern waterways.

According to a Reuters report citing officials familiar with the findings, the CIA assessment suggests Washington’s strategy of using maritime pressure to force Tehran into major concessions has so far failed to deliver a decisive breakthrough.

Read more



Source link

Posted in

Liam Redmond

As an editor at Forbes Europe, I specialize in exploring business innovations and entrepreneurial success stories. My passion lies in delivering impactful content that resonates with readers and sparks meaningful conversations.

Leave a Comment