American missionary Kevin Rideout set to head home to US after more than 9 months in captivity

American missionary Kevin Rideout set to head home to US after more than 9 months in captivity



Kevin Rideout, an American missionary who was abducted in Niger and released after more than nine months of detention, is ready to fly home to the United States, President Donald Trump announced on Sunday.

Trump said Rideout was reunited with his wife, adding: “This return marks the 110th captive American liberated since I was sworn in as President for a second time. I look forward to seeing Kevin and Krista at the White House soon!”

Christian missionary organization SIM International previously announced Rideout’s release.

“We are grateful to confirm that our good friend and brother in Christ, Kevin Rideout, has been released after over nine months in captivity,” the organization said in a statement shared with Fox News Digital.

Rideout was kidnapped near his home in Niger’s capital Niamey on Oct. 21, 2025, SIM said.

He was released into the care of US officials and is in good health, according to the organization.

President Donald Trump said former hostage Kevin Rideout has been reunited with his wife, Krista, and is preparing to return to the US. @realDonaldTrump/TruthSocial

Rideout, who serves as a pilot for the North Carolina-based SIM, will now return to his wife and children.

“He will soon be reunited with Krista, his children, and his extended family,” SIM International’s statement read.

“Krista and the rest of Kevin’s family are profoundly grateful for the prayers offered on their behalf by people around the world throughout his captivity, and in particular for the deep level of prayer and support offered by our SIM family,” the statement also read.

Trump previously acknowledged Rideout’s rescue in a social media post Friday, adding that the missionary is back in US custody after being kidnapped by “Jihadi terrorists.” 

US missionary pilot Kevin Rideout speaks on camera following his release brokered by authorities in eastern Libya under military commander Khalifa Haftar, in a screengrab from a handout video on Monday, Aug.17, 2026, at an undisclosed location. via REUTERS

“I am proud to announce that Kevin Rideout, a wonderful Christian Missionary, is back in United States Custody. Kevin was kidnapped by Jihadi terrorists in West Africa — The epicenter of Islamist terrorism, where there have been more deadly attacks in the past year than anywhere else on Earth,” Trump wrote in a Friday post on Truth Social. 

“Kevin, the United States of America looks forward to welcoming you HOME. Glad to have helped!” Trump wrote.

Rideout was abducted just 150 feet from Niger’s presidential palace, The Washington Post reported in November.

Medical staff attends to US missionary pilot Kevin Rideout in an ambulance at an undisclosed location in this screengrab from a handout video released on Monday, Aug. 17, 2026. via REUTERS

No information has been released about the group that took Rideout, though the Post cited analyst speculation that his abduction was connected to Islamic terror groups in the region.

Niger has been a hotbed for Islamic terrorism since a military junta overthrew the democratically elected government in 2023. Following the coup, the military expelled French and US military personnel, forcing the Western nations to abandon Air Base 101 in Niamey, according to US Africa Command.

Islamic groups, particularly the ISIS-affiliated Islamic State Sahel Province (ISSP) and the al Qaeda-affiliated JNIM, have grown in strength and influence in the region since the takeover.

Trump previously acknowledged Rideout’s rescue in a social media post Friday, adding that the missionary is back in US custody after being kidnapped by “Jihadi terrorists.”  X/@RepMarkHarrisNC

“JNIM activity in Niger saw a substantial increase… representing an almost fourteenfold increase in fatalities and marking the highest number of deaths and attacks by JNIM in the country to date,” according to a report from the Global Terrorism Index in 2025.

Fox News Digital contacted SIM International, the White House, the State Department and AFRICOM for further comment.



Source link

Posted in

Liam Redmond

As an editor at Forbes Europe, I specialize in exploring business innovations and entrepreneurial success stories. My passion lies in delivering impactful content that resonates with readers and sparks meaningful conversations.

Leave a Comment