Austin approves resolution for new safety tools on 6th Street
AUSTIN (KXAN) — The Austin City Council unanimously approved a resolution Thursday for the Sixth Street Safety Plan.
The resolution green lights things such as data collection and reporting, along with fencing and traffic changes designed to address safety issues and create a better entertainment district.
The city said the resolution also advances a “year-round Public Assembly Code Enforcement (PACE) team for inspections and rapid response, explores a new entertainment license for late-night venues to reduce repeat code violations … and evaluates pathways to regulate vacant and abandoned properties, and assess lighting needs downtown.”
Council Member Zohaib “Zo” Qadri sponsored the resolution.
“Austin deserves a Sixth Street that reflects who we are — vibrant, safe, and inclusive for everyone,” Qadri said. “We’re not here to maintain the status quo. We’re building a district that’s safer, more inclusive, and truly reflective of our city’s values.”
Earlier this year, the city began allowing car traffic again during weekend evenings as a way to improve the experience for guests and businesses, and the Austin Police Department reported fewer arrests and use-of-force incidents since the start of the Sixth Street pilot.
“This resolution builds on that progress with the tools and oversight needed to make lasting change,” the council said.
The council also approved more than $600,000 for mobile anti-vehicle barriers, which are expected to be used during special events or emergency operations to protect pedestrians.