Second man arrested, charged in connection to San Marcos double homicide

Second man arrested, charged in connection to San Marcos double homicide


AUSTIN (KXAN) — San Marcos Police said Tuesday morning that it arrested a second man allegedly connected to a July 19 double homicide in the city’s downtown, according to a social media post from the law enforcement agency.

Avery Saul Bowman Jr., 19, is charged with capital murder by terroristic threat or other felony, according to Hays County Jail records. He did not have an attorney listed as of 8 a.m. Tuesday.

Avery Saul Bowman Jr. was arrested July 21 in connection to a shooting in San Marcos, according to the San Marcos Police Department. (Courtesy SMPD)

“Thanks to Hays County Crime Stoppers and members of the community for helping us locate this suspect and identify a previously unknown witness. Your tips made a difference,” SMPD said in its post.

KXAN reported on July 19 that SMPD arrested 19-year-old Jermiah Jayden Tobias in connection to the case. Tobias was charged with two counts of capital murder and one count of aggravated assault.

On July 19, a fight in downtown San Marcos, Texas, escalated into a shooting that killed two men, 24-year-old Anthony Barrera and 20-year-old Alek Pacheco. A third person was also shot but is recovering.

“He was a good kid, an excellent kid,” Barrera’s father told KXAN on Sunday. “He would give you his shirt off his back if he had to.”

According to the Texas Penal Code, that charge is for when a defendant is suspected of committing a murder “in the course of committing or attempting to commit another felony.”



Source link

Posted in

Sophie Clearwater

Vancouver-based environmental journalist, writing about nature, sustainability, and the Pacific Northwest.

Leave a Comment