Iranian Supreme Leader Reportedly Issues Directive To Keep Enriched Uranium In The Country
Iranian Supreme Leader Mojtaba Khamenei has reportedly a directive saying that the country’s enriched uranium must remain in the country, according to a new report.
Reuters published the report citing two senior Iranian sources. The development could doubt on whether a deal with the U.S. can be reached, especially considering that President Donald Trump has repeatedly vowed to prevent Tehran from obtaining a nuclear weapon.
“The Supreme Leader’s directive, and the consensus within the establishment, is that the stockpile of enriched uranium should not leave the country,” one of the sources told the outlet. They believe such a development could leave the country more vulnerable to future attacks.
Moreover, Israeli officials told the outlet that Trump assured the country that Iran’s stockpile of enriched uranium will be removed from the country and any deal must include a related clause. Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has
The directive stands in contrast with a report in which Tehran said latest U.S. proposal to end the war “reduced the gaps to some extent” as negotiations continue.
The country’s semiofficial ISNA news agency detailed that a visit from Pakistan’s army chief Asif Munir sought to reduce “these gaps and reaching the point of officially announcing acceptance of the memorandum of understanding.”
The report followed remarks from President Donald Trump, who said progress was being made but threatened the U.S. is “all ready to go” if he does not “get the right answers.”
Another report noted that Trump held a tense call with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on the matter.
One source familiar with the matter told Axios that Netanyahu’s “hair was on fire” after the conversation. The Israeli prime minister is skeptical about negotiations and wants to restart the war, while Trump has continued extending the ceasefire to give diplomacy more chances.
Trump told Netanyahu that mediators were working on a “letter of intent” that the countries would sign to end the war and begin a 30-day period of negotiations on matters like Iran’s nuclear program and reopening the Strait of Hormuz.
Trump highlighted on Wednesday that he has a good relationship with Netanyahu, but he will do “whatever I want him to do” in regards to the matter.
Iran has also threatened to to take the war beyond the region if it’s struck again.
In a statement, the powerful paramilitary group said it has not brought all its “capacities” into action, but if it’s attacked again, the “the regional war that had been warned of will this time spread beyond the region, and our crushing blows will bring you to ruin in places you cannot even imagine.”
“We are men of war, and you will witness our power on the battlefield,” the document added.