Karmelo Anthony Fantasized About Stabbing Someone Hours Before Killing Austin Metcalf as Chilling Details About Stalking Ex-Girlfriend Emerge
Karmelo Anthony had fantasized about stabbing someone and “licking the blood off the blade” just hours before he killed Austin Metcalf, prosecutors allege. The 19-year-old’s defense team returned to court Thursday for an appeal hearing, months after he was convicted of killing Austin Metcalf, 17 with a knife during a high school track meet last April.
State Prosecutor Bill Wirskye on Thursday pointed to several disturbing text messages that he said clearly revealed Anthony’s fixation on violence, including his alleged tendency to pick fights with others. “There is a text message where he fantasies about stabbing someone and licking the blood off the blade,” Wirskye told the court.
Wild Fantasies
freekarmelo.net
Just hours before the killing, Anthony’s ex-girlfriend reportedly told an assistant principal that she was being stalked by him. A message recovered from Anthony’s phone that same day showed him sending his ex-girlfriend a photo of a knife along with the ominous words, “I’m lowkey on the verge.”
Wirskye also claimed that, while the family was living in Baton Rouge, Anthony’s parents enrolled him in a special program at LSU for children who struggled with aggression and controlling their behavior.
The prosecutor’s claims came a day after Anthony scored a major legal victory when the judge who oversaw his trial was removed from the case as he continues his effort to overturn his murder conviction.
Anthony’s defense team argues that several issues prevented him from receiving a fair trial, including pressure to give up his right to testify, improper instructions given to the jury and limits on public access to the courtroom.
The defense also claims that a private “gentleman’s agreement” between prosecutors and attorneys initially prevented Anthony’s character witnesses from discussing certain details about him and his family. As a result, potentially damaging information involving both teenagers was kept out of the courtroom.
New details about Metcalf’s past also emerged during Thursday’s opening statements. Wirskye said the teenager had written graffiti years earlier that contained “vile, racist stuff.” The prosecutor also revealed that the Frisco Police Department had obtained Metcalf’s phone records and had access to his “school records and fights and bad words.”
Strong Argument
Wirskye then raised the key question at the heart of the case: “Why did Anthony bring a knife to a track meet?” He also explained why he had initially proposed the “gentleman’s agreement” with Anthony’s attorneys. “It is gonna pour fuel on the fire. Okay?” he told the court.

x @MarioNawfal
Wirskye said that although authorities had information from Anthony’s private text messages and other remarks, he was concerned that making those details public could further inflame tensions surrounding the case and potentially put someone’s life at risk.
“Everybody, no matter where you are on the spectrum, whatever you believe, you’re going to look at this case and feel this case proves it,” he said.
Wirskye also described the intense backlash surrounding the June trial, admitting that officials in Collin County were largely unprepared for a case that had suddenly attracted national attention.
“All the threats are going to go to the level, none of us have ever seen it. Quite frankly, to a level, none of us in Collin County were prepared to deal with,” he told the court.
The prosecutor said Metcalf’s mother and others were targeted with doxxing and a barrage of online threats. In one particularly alarming incident, a shooting nearly took place at her home.
Wirskye also accused social media influencers of “monetizing misinformation” and said attorneys on both sides had concerns about their own safety, as well as that of more than 30 minor witnesses.
He argued that the threatening environment was why Anthony was not routinely brought into the courtroom, saying his original defense team had agreed with the arrangement. His new attorneys, however, are now challenging that decision.

X
The original strategy, Wirskye said, was “to go old school, keep a paper file and limit the defendant’s appearance” in an effort to keep the trial safe. “And you know what, all of that stuff we did worked,” Wirskye said.
Russell Wilson, one of Anthony‘s defense attorneys, also addressed the court during Thursday’s opening statements, discussing the secret agreement between the prosecution and defense.
Wilson said emails exchanged between Wirskye and defense attorney Mike Howard included references to Metcalf‘s alleged racial animosity and aggressive behavior.
He also said the defense plans to present 40 exhibits that he claims will show Judge John Roach operated a “shadow docket” that was “not public at all.”