Ketanji Brown Jackson’s SNAP benefit ruling sparks division
The Supreme Court temporarily paused a lower-court order requiring the White House to fully fund Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) benefits during a government shutdown, setting off a wave of reaction from both sides of the political spectrum.
The stay, granted late Friday night by Justice Ketanji Brown Jackson in her role as circuit justice for the 1st U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, halts the use of a separate Department of Agriculture (USDA) nutrition account to fund benefits while the appeals court considers the administration’s request to repeal the lower court’s order.
Why It Matters
The dispute over SNAP funding has become one of the major flashpoints of the government shutdown, with both parties blaming the other for delays. Approximately 42 million Americans, or roughly one in eight, rely on monthly SNAP benefits, which are delivered via electronic cards for groceries. Advocates warn that any interruptions or reductions in payments could place significant financial strain on the households that depend on the program.
What To Know
The order followed a district judge’s ruling that the USDA should use a contingency account to make entire payments for the month, and an appeals court’s initial handling of an emergency stay request by the administration. The Department of Justice had asked the Supreme Court to pause the lower court order, arguing the funding and separation-of-powers questions required appellate review. The underlying litigation involves whether the executive may reallocate funds to cover SNAP during a lapse in appropriations.
The USDA had planned to distribute November SNAP benefits at 65 percent of the typical maximum allotments, according to a memo sent to state agencies on Wednesday. As of Saturday, it was not clear whether those allotments had been fully implemented.
Meanwhile, Democratic state leaders have urged the administration to use a separate USDA account, known as Section 32, to restore full funding to the program.
Efforts to reopen the government have failed in the Senate 14 times, most recently falling six votes short of the 60 needed to pass the House-approved continuing resolution.
The move to halt the federal government from funding SNAP has drawn sharp criticism from Democrats and advocates, praise from conservative commentators, and measured analysis from legal observers emphasizing its procedural nature.
What People Are Saying
Democratic House Minority Leader Hakeem Jeffries said on X on Friday: “The [President Donald] Trump administration is begging the Supreme Court to block an order requiring them to immediately release SNAP benefits. Meanwhile, millions of hungry Americans are at risk of starving. These extremists are sick people.”
Democratic Senator Adam Schiff of California said on X on Friday: “The Trump administration will go to any length—including appeal to the highest court in the land—if it means they can cut off food for hungry people. What is wrong with them?”
“Our attorneys will not stop fighting, day and night, to defend and advance President Trump’s agenda,” Attorney General Pam Bondi wrote in a post on X.
Far right influencer MAGA Voice wrote in a post on X: “HOLY S***: Supreme Court Justice Ketanji Brown Jackson was the one who ruled in favor of Trump. Liberals are about to meltdown in 3…2…1.”
What Happens Next
The case has been returned to the 1st U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals for further consideration, where the court will review the government’s request.