Ukraine unleashes largest drone siege on Moscow in years

Ukraine unleashes largest drone siege on Moscow in years


Ukraine launched more than 600 drones toward the Russian capital of Moscow into the early hours of Tuesday, according to Russian authorities.

Between Monday evening and 5 a.m. local time on Tuesday, 620 drones were detected flying toward the broader Moscow region, according to the city’s mayor Sergei Sobyanin.

Around 180 of these uncrewed aerial vehicles (UAVs) were “destroyed” around Moscow, Sobyanin said. Separately, Moscow’s regional governor Andrey Vorobyov said more than 150 drones were shot down in the area around the capital.

Read More on World

The overnight attack on Moscow was “the largest in the past two years,” Russia’s Tass state news agency reported.

Ukraine has repeatedly targeted Moscow with long-range drones in an effort to hammer home the impact of the nearly four-and-a-half years of full-scale war to the Russian population.

Russia’s Wildberries online retailer—the country’s equivalent to Amazon—said the drone assault caused “minor damage” to a logistics site in the Moscow region as debris struck the wall of the facility.

Russia’s defense ministry said its air defenses had intercepted 791 drones overnight in 15 Russian regions, as well as over the annexed Crimean peninsula and the Azov and Black Seas.

The overall Ukrainian attack on Russian soil was one of the biggest so far this year, Tass reported.



Source link

Posted in

Nathan Pine

I focus on highlighting the latest in business and entrepreneurship. I enjoy bringing fresh perspectives to the table and sharing stories that inspire growth and innovation.

Leave a Comment